Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sea Sickness

I haven't put up any poetry in a while.  Here's a piece I wrote while in the Galapagos Islands.  Enjoy!
                               ~                 ~               ~                ~                    ~

Sea Sickness

A forty foot yacht plows through the broken gray sea while I, inside, contemplate the contents of my stomach.

It’s interesting,
I think through my increasing discomfort,
how unpredictable the sea is.

She is like a Goddess.
Her depths are unknowable
but just as we forget about them she reveals evidence
of Her wonder,
            a dolphin springing playfully up to say hello to the sun;
of Her wrath,
            half of a ship, its masts catching the deep currents, sails on eternally with its skeleton crew tangled in the rigging;
of Her mercy,
            feeding the birds of the sky, the hunters of the ocean, the people of the land with Her bounty.

How is it possible for me to feel so sick upon the sea that God made;
where He loves Her so much that He bends down
uninterrupted
at every horizon to kiss Her?

The absence of wind has turned the whole ocean into a mirror
and the Goddess now reflects upon me and my tiny boat.
Her curiosity springs forth in the form of hundreds of flying fish,
the school skittering across the water in swift silver flashes.

My presence is permitted and a brisk breeze sends me on my way.
In my gratitude, I vomit over the stern and,
In a sort of sardonic salute,
Wipe my mouth and send a prayer ahead towards my horizon,
Where God meets Goddess,
Where I meet my future.



1 comment:

  1. Sara, you have my vote, if you ever run for anything (I highly encourage this.) Also, I thank you for using the sadly ignored word, 'sardonic'.

    ReplyDelete