Sunday, December 10, 2017

Sara Sucks at Fitness Update: Rest Day

Yesterday, I ran a holiday 5k (which was actually a 6k due to how they routed the 2nd and 3rd loops of the course, but who's counting).  I ran the first mile with a cheap, dollar store, reindeer antler headband but the wind turned my fashion statement into a hazard so I had to take them off.

2 hours and a half a banana later, I was off to run another 4 k with a friend, testing out the Galloway method for the first time. Initial reaction: I need to play around with the intervals. We did 1:30 run/0:30 walk and I think I'd like something closer to a 3:00 run/0:45 walk, but I'll keep experimenting.

And last, but certainly not least, drumroll please...


I have stayed true to my squat challenge!!! 360 squats later and I have reached my first rest day.

Rest days can be particularly challenging for me as a lazy person. It's hard for me to pick up my progress from where I dropped it the day, two, three, weeks before. I end up right back where I started, thinking I should workout for 2 weeks and then stopping. It's a cycle that gets me no where, pushes no limits, and leaves me feeling defeated.

On the other extreme, rest days can seem like an obstacle for your true goal.  You feel like you need to keep pushing to drop those last 2 pounds or cut those last 15 seconds. A rest day is the last thing you need in order to get harder, better, faster, stronger (more than ever/hour after/our work is/never over). But that mentality can leave you injured, fatigued, and unhealthy in a brand new way.

Like all things, exercise and dieting is best done in moderation.  Every expert and "expert" will have their own caveats, but clichés are popular for a reason and everything but the kitchen sink kills two birds with one stone. Wait, what?

Tomorrow I start again with 65 squats and it's been very helpful to do them in quick bursts of 15-20 with 10 second breaks between sets.  I am learning a lot about how I need to train myself to train, which, as convoluted as it sounds, is an essential life skill. It's great to have accomplishments and to throw out arbitrary numbers of how many reps you'll do and how much you'll lift and how far you'll run, but the hard and dirty work is the time you have to put in to prepare.  It's never just the longer runs and workouts. It's also the stretching, the meal prep, the playlist curating, the laundry, and, worst of all, the saying "no" to friends who want you to go out to eat or have another drink.

Success is selfish, but that's not a bad thing. And neither is saying "Hell. Yes." to those Quatro Queso Dos Fritos every once in a while. I look forward to keeping up this progress while remembering that self-love comes in many different, and sometimes delicious, forms.

Cheers!
This balaclava certainly gives me the "ninja" vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment