Saturday, August 11, 2012

When the.....

It appears as though the metaphorical shit has hit the metaphysical fan.  Yes, that's right.  I'm talking about becoming an adult.  Throughout my ordinary, everyday life, I have begun to notice a certain...appearance of the environment around me.  There's lots of $$$ and paper and green and plastic, so much so that I have now been forced to succumb to the realization that I too must earn some of this $$$ and paper and green and plastic.
As a 19 year old with little experience in the working field, I begin, of course, with an online search.  But there really isn't anything for a girl who has to balance out a bizarre, full-time, college schedule and activities such as soccer, choir, and Habitat for Humanity. You'd think that after volunteering and doing so much extra-curricular work, that finding something would be easy.  Nope. Not the case.
I have looked into numerous possibilities, including package-handler, child-care, wait-staff, pretty much everything short of psychic (although it shouldn't take too much time to learn Tarot. Maybe then I could work off street corners?), but I haven't found much. Oh wait! I found a company that sells cutlery. CUTLERY!!! I'm barely allowed to have a pocket-knife in my dorm. I'm pretty sure the RA's would kick me out if they knew that I would be harboring a full set of kitchen and butchers' knives underneath my bed.
But really, what else is out there? Oh, I suppose I could enter writing contests.  So, after hours of looking into that option, I emerge from the internet, tired and disheartened. Free-lance writing is for "professionals".  And so I think, 'Well, I could fake professionalism, couldn't I?'
Oh well. And with that realization that free-lancing is not in my immediate future. I thought about the poor blog that I had almost abandoned. It's hard to say abandoned; I only post a couple times a month. I'll work on it. I promise.
But, my dears, in response to a hearty kick in the rear I will resume my job search with renewed vigor.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment