Saturday, July 28, 2012

Impromptu post because I wanted to

I write poetry about the things that I find important in my life.  Chief among these are God, language, and tolerance.  And from these important things came 'Believe'.  Read it as though I am speaking to you because, in this glorious internet age, this is the only voice I have.

Believe
Write until it doesn’t make sense not to write.
Pray until it doesn’t make sense not to pray.
Sing, speak, scream, sign until it doesn’t make sense not to do any of these things.
Communication is the basis of our survival so let me communicate to you:
Let me speak to you about what I know is true.
In my universal heart, I see that we are all so far from one another;
We hide from one another and run from one another until we’ve run out of others to hide and run from and deceive
Because we believe that the moment other see us we’ll be revealed.
We’re afraid we can’t heal.
We know that healing means survival,
A revival of our soul within the human race,
But we’re afraid that in this case, our case needs to be made to God.
You know, communication to each other, to God is the validation of our existence,
You can pick any instance and I’ll bet,
Without resistance,
That you’ll claim consistency.
But you didn’t believe because you wanted to.
You believed because you had to.

So one day I’m talking with you,
Debating meaningless news and views that are common knowledge
And you suddenly tell me that things have changed.
And I’m ecstatic,
But I know the conversion can be problematic so I’m trying to be diplomatic until you tell me you’re sure.
See, I know what you know.
I feel what you feel.
Not long ago, I was the one leading that crazy life in those gorgeous high heels
And my head was reeling as my friends were appealing to me to take off the shoes
Because they were bleeding me out
And I thought, “Really?  What difference could one pair of shoes make?”
The difference was I couldn’t talk to my shoes,
Ask my shoes for advice,
And I’d think twice before praying to them for forgiveness.
But my friends didn’t give up on me
As I struggled with the difficulty of
Finding something, someone, that considered me worthy,
I hadn’t believed because I wanted to.
I believed because I had to.

A few years later and we’re still so young,
Knowing as much today as we did yesterday or the day before that or the day before two years past last week,
When we accepted the uniqueness of our situation
And started to seek salvation.
And I’ve changed.
Poetry once filled with lightning and sharks is now lined with
Love and remarks about change and communication and hope.
And the truth of it all?
I don’t even know what I’m saying.
I’m just praying and playing with the idea that I am loved,
That God wants me above all the tasks he assigns,
Even though I sort of fail.
Jesus took 3 nails for me
And a spear in the side
And besides, His crown of thorns wasn’t just a fashion statement.
A few hundred miracles later and we’re together again as friends in Christ
As Christ has upended our lives that we’re still scrambling to reconcile that
We believe because we want to.




No comments:

Post a Comment